How are impacted wisdom teeth removed?
The site is first numbed. If the tooth is under the gums embedded into the jawbone, an incision is given into the gums and the portion of the bone covering the tooth is removed. Oftentimes the tooth is removed in small pieces rather than removed in one piece to minimize the bone removal. A stitch is given to avoid food lodgement and also to ease wound healing.
What are the instructions to be followed after tooth removal?
- To control bleeding bite on to a piece of cotton for an hour and avoid mouth rinsing
- To minimize swelling of the face keep an icepack on a schedule of 10 minutes Antibiotics and pain medication to be taken as prescribed by the dentist
- Eat soft foods for a few days
- Brush gently and use antiseptic mouth rinse
- After 1 week of extraction, stitch has to be removed